Synopsis[edit | edit source]
In a flashback to 10 years prior, Wendy struggles with depression, Del asks Marty to be his financial advisor, and Agent Petty faces a family crisis.
Plot[edit | edit source]
A flashback to 2007 shows Wendy and Marty driving when she reveals she is pregnant again. While discussing the news, they are involved in a car accident that causes a miscarriage which results in Wendy's extended period of depression. Wendy unsuccessfully attempts to reenter the job market after the births of her children. As a public relations operative for political campaigns, she is revealed to have worked for Bobby Rush's early Congressional campaigns and Barack Obama's campaigns for the Illinois Senate.
Del approaches Marty and Bruce to launder the cartel's money and after reviewing Del's ledgers they decline, but agree to reconsider. Marty expects Wendy will be opposed, but to his surprise, she approves. Bruce and Marty commit to work for Del, and Del has his previous financial advisor Louis killed in front of them. Not only was Louis skimming, which Del suspected and Marty confirmed when analyzing the ledgers, he was also informing to Roy at the FBI.
Roy has a steady boyfriend and fledgling FBI career, but a difficult relationship with his mother, who is a heroin addict. Unhappy at the FBI's insistence on pursuing terrorists rather than drug dealers, Roy plots to get his way.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Jason Bateman as Martin “Marty” Byrde
- Laura Linney as Wendy Byrde
- Sofia Hublitz as Charlotte Byrde
- Skylar Gaertner as Jonah Byrde
- Julia Garner as Ruth Langmore
- Jordana Spiro as Rachel Garrison
- Jason Butler Harner as Roy Petty
- Esai Morales as Camino Del Rio ("Del")
- Peter Mullan as Jacob Snell
- Lisa Emery as Darlene Snell
- Charlie Tahan as Wyatt Langmore
- Janet McTeer as Helen Pierce
- Tom Pelphrey as Ben Davis
- Jessica Francis Dukes as Maya Miller